The Veteran’s Home of California – West Los Angeles has ongoing volunteer opportunities in horticulture and landscaping serving the residential veteran community.
The Veterans Home of California—West Los Angeles is a 396-bed, long-term care facility located adjacent to the VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System in West Los Angeles. The Veterans Home provides California veterans with a living environment that protects their dignity and contributes to their feeling of self-reliance and self-worth.
VOLUNTEER DUTY STATEMENT
CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS
Working Title: Groundskeeper/Assistant for Facility Operations
YOU ARE A VALUED MEMBER OF THE DEPARTMENT’S TEAM. YOU ARE EXPECTED TO WORK COOPERATIVELEY WITH TEAM MEMBERS AND OTHERS TO ENABLE THE DEPARTMENT TO PROVIDE THE HIGHEST LEVEL OF SERVICE POSSIBLE. YOUR CREATIVITY AND PRODUCTIVITY ARE ENCOURAGED. YOUR EFFORTS TO TREAT OTHERS FAIRLY, HONESTLY AND WITH RESPECT ARE IMPORTANT TO EVERYONE WHO WORKS WITH YOU.
Under the general direction of the Coordinator of Volunteer Services, the Groundskeeper performs a variety of landscaping tasks which include but is no limited to servicing and maintaining lawns, bushes, hedges, trees, fields, walkways, parking lots, sidewalks and other areas as follows:
- Plant, cultivate, water, and spray ornamental plants, shrubs, hedges, trees and propagate cuttings.
- Plant and care for lawns. Prepare and treat soil for planting; spade and fertilize flowerbeds and set out plants; apply herbicide.
- Trim trees, hedges, and shrubs. Carry out preventative maintenance on sprinkler system from control valve to sprinkler heads.
- Keep grounds clean and orderly.
- Prepare soil for planting lawns, flowers, shrubs, trees and groundcovers. Plant lawns and set flowers, shrubs, trees and groundcovers.
- Repair irrigation system leaks; dig up sprinklers and valves; replace broken sprinklers and adjust sprinklers. Program irrigation controllers.
- Remove weeds by hand or with hoe.
- Does general labor tasks relate to grounds and garden maintenance work.
- Observe and follow all safety precautions.
Presently outdoor volunteers are required to:
- Complete online application – https://www.volgistics.com/ex/portal.dll/ap?ap=1560560718
- Attend mandatory orientation