Interim Communications Specialist II
Under the direction of Chief of Staff, coordinate communications and public relations of the Altus Affiliation of Schools; prepare a variety of related publications and materials; plan and organize special events and activities to enhance public relations. This position is responsible for broad areas of informationand publications that provide effective public understanding of Altus, its schools and programs, general education issues, and network/staff/student accomplishments.
• Coordinate, compose and prepare independently or from oral instructions, a variety of related publications and materials including brochures, newsletters, correspondence and memoranda, website/web-based materials, and video-based materials.
• Organize and edit rough draft copy according to accepted rules of style and syntax; verify facts, dates, and statistics in copy, using standard reference courses, rewrite text for greater consistency, clarity and adherence to space limitations of publications.
• Ensure that internal and external publications meet Altus objectives of communicating accurate, substantive, and timely information. Contribute information for Altus websites, as needed, and ensure accuracy of information.
• Serve as a resource to Altus administrators and staff, and provide information related to strategic communications and public relations
• Plan, organize, and coordinate selected special events to enhance public relations, particularly those establishing and fostering positive community and partnership relations. Plan, organizes and coordinate information displays.
• Assist in the development and implementation of a comprehensive Altus communications and marketing plan.
• Utilize word processing, desktop publishing, and design software to create camera-ready documents for a variety of publications and other materials; design page layouts; prepare advertisements create special effects or other visual images, and manipulate graphics and photos.
• Prepare and maintain a variety of records and reports related to assigned activities; maintain a record of past and current programs and activities; keep a file of newspaper clippings related to Altus and pertinent general education topics.
• Coordinate accurate and timely distribution of information materials to various publics/audiences. Prepare and assemble materials; review and check documents for completeness accuracy, and conformance with applicable policies, programs, and requirements.
Knowledge and Skills: Strong writing and editing skills; knowledge of correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary; knowledge of techniques for the writing and preparation of promotional brochures, website copy and other informational materials; knowledge of public relations, communication and marketing practices and strategies; techniques. Knowledge of and skills in using current technology for performance of duties including graphics design and publication/print software; graphics, page layout and desktop publishing software; presentation software; design/management and publishing software.
The person selected for this position represents the organization in a vibrant, pleasant, outgoing, and highly professional manner; displays a helpful, friendly, passionate and committed to the Altus vision and mission.
Abilities to: Communicate effectively both orally and in writing; work confidentially with discretion; establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others; prepare oral presentations; meet schedules and timeliness; consistently maintain a high level of productivity; handle multiple tasks, work under pressure, and work with priorities/deadlines subject to change; work independently with little direction; read, interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies, and procedures; use personal computer and media-related software; uses tact and courtesy with others.
Education, Experience, Licenses, and Other Requirements:
Any combination equivalent to bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations or a related field and two years experience in public relations or communications, preferably in an educational setting.
Valid California Drivers License; provide personal automobile
Employment eligibility that may include fingerprints, health (TB) and/or other employment clearance.
Office environment; frequent interruptions; driving a vehicle to conduct work; fast-paced work.
Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard; sitting or standing for extended periods of time; hearing and speaking to exchange information and make presentations; seeing to read and write reports.
More details on this position are available through Handshake Online Job Board. You must have an account to log in. For account eligibility details, please see the Handshake Resource page.