Are you looking for an opportunity to build user friendly and simply designed products that reach a large audience? Do you like the challenge of creating modern, thoughtful experiences for both web and mobile platforms? Do you love to find innovative new ways to create? Is working closely with a down-to-earth, wickedly talented team to ship frequently and evolve a product your cup of tea? If so, we may just have the perfect opportunity for you.
About the Position:
As a Product Designer, you will be responsible for developing the user experiences from start to finish for projects that will help both our Restaurant Owners and Diners audiences.
You will work closely with multiple teams including Engineering and Product to iterate on customer feedback, solve new problems, and empower one another. The decisions you make will have a huge impact on our customers and provide great learning opportunities.
In addition to having a great mind for user experience it’s imperative that you have highly refined visual design skills.
About the Team:
ChowNow is unique among tech startups in the restaurant space. We power branded online ordering systems for independent restaurants across North America – via websites, Facebook, Google, and through branded iOS and Android apps – and we do it all for a reasonable monthly fee regardless of order volume. We operate this way because of our belief in being fair, sustainable, and equitable with our restaurant partners. And the same goes for our workplace.
Diversity, teamwork, and mutual respect are among our core company values. And we pride ourselves on giving our teams plenty of opportunities to make their mark. To date we’ve created over 18,000 apps for our restaurant partners – something that’s never been done before in our category. And as we expand to new markets, further spreading the word about the ChowNow difference, those opportunities to create, build, and grow will only increase. If this sounds like the kind of workplace, and the kind of mission, that appeals to you, we’d love to talk.
Learn more by checking out our reviews on Glassdoor (they’re excellent). Together we can preserve neighborhood flavor, one restaurant at a time.
- Takes full responsibility over a feature set and executes cohesive, forward-thinking, and industry competitive design solutions from end-to-end
- Confidently utilizes existing visual frameworks creatively and develop new layouts, typography and visual hierarchy
- Identify areas of opportunities for clients and solve functional challenges through brainstorming, ideating, and designing digital solutions with other members of the team
- Develops personas, journey maps, information architectures, sitemaps, prototypes, user experiences
- Understanding of online design constraints, including mobile space, web usability, SEO, browser
- behavior, front-end design limitations, cross-platform compatibility, ADA requirements
- Conduct testing of all work with project personas, including preference, usability and cognition testing of desktop, mobile, native app and voice applications
- Work closely with Designers, Engineers and Product Managers to define product opportunities and contribute to the overall product strategy.
- Ability to present strategic plans, and designs directly to team members, stakeholders, and leadership.
- For the interim, this role reports to the Executive Creative Director; No direct reports.
Within 30 Days You’ll:
- Complete our ChowNow New Hire Onboarding Experience.
- Learn the ins and outs of ChowNow and our product design process.
- Conduct an analysis of ChowNow’s products and the competitive landscape.
- Work with Senior Product Designers to distill requirements for a new feature.
- Research, discover and develop solutions for feature work.
- Learn about systematic design and how to design for scale.
Within 60 Days You’ll:
- Work with Senior Product Designers to create user flows, wireframes, and a prototype for a new feature.
- Talk to customers and the support teams to gain empathy for customer problems, needs, and mental models.
- Prepare your first set of detailed design specs for the engineering team
- Present your design decisions and approach to problem-solving, and solicit feedback from the team.
- Help define the metrics you will use to determine the success of your first design solution.
Within 90 Days You’ll:
- Own an entire feature solution from start to finish.
- Deliver your first set of user flows, wireframes, and high-fidelity interaction designs for a new feature.
- Dissect the data from this feature and provide insights on your findings.
- Support team by helping conduct user testing to inform product decisions and implement new design thinking based on customer feedback.
You Should Apply If:
- You are highly adept at problem-solving and great conceptual thinking.
- You have an ability to take complex information and turn it into user-friendly UI design
- You have strong skills in crafting effective user experience flows, wireframes and interactions
- You have 3+ years of experience as a UI/UX Designer
- You have a portfolio that demonstrates the User Interface Design process, User Experience, Graphic Design, etc.
- You have an understanding of animations, interactions, motion graphics, and video editing
- You have an understanding of virtual reality, augmented reality, 3D and 360° video a plus
- You have experience with Agile (this is a plus and not a requirement for consideration)
About Our Benefits:
- Competitive Salary
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities.
- A “Best Place to Work” winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans.
- Mental Health Coverage – we offer several programs to support your mental health and wellness goals.
- 3 weeks paid vacation; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- 6 weeks of baby bonding time for all new parents (within the first year of birth or adoption), 6 Weeks of Paid Pregnancy Leave.
- Employer-contributing student loan assistance program.
- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool).
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan.
- Pet insurance for your fur babies
- Quarterly Industry Speakers Series.
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion).
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly.
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable.
- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap.
As one of ChowNow’s core values, “Celebrates Diversity”, we are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. ChowNow is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
More details on this position are available through Handshake Online Job Board. You must have an account to log in. For account eligibility details, please see the Handshake Resource page.