Under general supervision, the Preschool Assistant is responsible for planning, implementing, and supervising recreational and educational activities for 3-5 year olds, such as arts and crafts, learning groups, outdoor games, and play.
Work Hours: This is a part-time hourly position with average hours not to exceed 19 hours/week.
Part-time, temporary, and seasonal workers are at-will employees. Part-Time Hourly employees are limited to no more than 1,000 hours per fiscal year (July-June).
Selection Process: Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications and whose interests and experience appear to meet the desired qualifications of the position will be invited to participate in the next steps of the recruitment process which may include:
- Oral Interview
As a finalist for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the California Department of Social Services (CDSS). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a finalist. If you are selected as a finalist, you will be contacted to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Verification: Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City of Beverly Hills.
Disaster Service Workers: All City of Beverly Hills employees are designated Disaster Service Workers through state and local law (California Government Code Section 3100-3109). Employment with the City requires the affirmation of a loyalty oath to this effect. Employees are required to complete all Disaster Service Worker-related training as assigned, and to return to work as ordered in the event of an emergency.
- Supervise preschoolers 3-5 years old.
- Plan and implement daily lesson plans.
- Unlock the facility and conduct safety inspections.
- Know the learning level of 26 children in the program and keep accurate records.
- Prepare snacks.
- Keep a safe and clean environment.
- Keep accurate attendance.
- Work cooperatively with other staff.
- Perform related duties as required.
- Must have completed at least one year of college and have a minimum of 3-6 Early Childhood Education units. Child Development major preferred.
- Six-months paid childcare work experience.
Note: Candidate who have successfully completed the selection process must complete live scan fingerprinting with FBI, Department of Justice (DOJ), & California Department of Social Services (CDSS) for background check purposes. State of California also requires Childcare workers to complete a physical exam which includes Tuberculosis Screening (T.B. test) prior to hire.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Plan, organize and supervise.
- Work as a team.
- Communication effectively.
- Work with the public.
- Rules and organization of competitive and non-competitive sports and games.