Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is an independent, ever-evolving philanthropy that supports basic biomedical scientists and educators with the potential for transformative impact. We make long-term investments in people, not just projects, because we believe in the power of individuals to make breakthroughs over time. HHMI scientists have radically advanced the understanding of cells, the brain, the immune system, the development of organs, and how to treat many diseases. Founded in 1953 by aviator and industrialist Howard R. Hughes, HHMI is headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland, and employs more than 2,500 people across the U.S.
At HHMI, you are not just an employee – you are a part of a creative and talented team with colleagues whose expertise ranges from biomedical research to investment management, from information technology to law. We encourage collaborative and results-driven working styles and offer an adaptable environment where employees can function at their highest level. As HHMI scientists continue to push boundaries in laboratories and classrooms, you can be sure that your contributions while working at HHMI are making a difference.
We currently have an opening for a Research Specialist in the laboratory of Dr. Tamir Gonen at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). The Gonen lab works toward understanding how membrane proteins help cells maintain homeostasis. To that end, they study channels, transporters, and receptors structurally and functionally. There is an exciting opportunity for a Research Specialist to join the team in the lab, supporting ongoing projects in membrane biophysics and biochemistry. This role will perform membrane protein expression, purification, and crystallization assays as well as perform research using biochemical and molecular biology techniques. This position will require a driven, creative individual who has membrane protein purification and expression experience, is willing to tackle novel challenges, and continually work towards process improvement. Ideal candidates will also be incredibly organized, personable, able to work independently, and have a strong desire to support the research of the lab.
Representative Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform biochemical and molecular biology experiments
- Perform membrane protein expression, purification and crystallization assays.
- Assist with plasmid preparation, cDNA cloning and DNA sequencing techniques
- Perform sterile techniques; maintain, propagate, and analyze various cell lines
- Order supplies and equipment necessary for lab research duties, and unpack and organize delivered equipment and supplies
- Train lab members at various biochemical techniques as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Experience with membrane protein expression and purification is an absolute must.
- Master’s degree in health or physical sciences required, with emphasis in genetics, biology, molecular biology, or biochemistry
- Ph.D. preferred
- At least 2-4 years of related experience working in biochemistry or molecular biology or structural biology lab
- Experience in genetic techniques, molecular biology techniques, working with mammalian cells; baculovirus, yeast, and E. coli expression systems.
- Experience with uptake studies (example: scintillation counting)
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Strong computer skills
- Highly self-motivated and able to work in a diverse laboratory environment
- Able to interact well with others and work as part of a team
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.