Refugee Representation Legal Intern – Los Angeles, CA (remote)
Call for Applications
The Los Angeles office of Human Rights First seeks motivated legal interns for the Fall 2020 semester to assist in providing pro bono legal representation to asylum seekers in non-detained and detained settings before the Los Angeles Asylum Office and Immigration Courts. Human Rights First is dedicated to inclusivity and will assist interns with externship credit, work-study, or securing funding from external sources. This position is unpaid and will support the Los Angeles area, and may be performed remotely. A computer and internet connection are required for this position. People of color, women, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBT community are encouraged to apply.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Intern responsibilities include assisting staff members in meeting with clients, conducting screening and intake interviews with potential clients, and drafting case summaries; bilingual students are encouraged to apply.
- Interns will work with staff at Human Rights First to draft declarations, briefs, legal memorandum, and other legal advocacy for asylum seekers to submit to federal agencies.
- Interns will assist with preparing and filing forms for Human Rights First’s clients, including asylum applications, family reunification petitions, and applications for permanent residency.
- Attorneys may request legal interns to conduct legal research developing immigration law and country conditions for analysis and reporting.
- Interns will have opportunities to attend legal trainings, advocacy groups, and discussion panels.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail, with the ability to manage multiple deadlines at once
- Legal research and writing skills, particularly in federal circuit law, agency decisions, and federal regulations
- Dedicated interest and passion for immigration advocacy and protecting the rights of migrants
- Experience working with vulnerable populations and survivors of trauma
- Ability to work collaboratively with staff, clients, and community organizations
- Motivated to work independently/remotely
- Second language skills a plus
- Enrollment in an accredited JD or LLM program
START DATE: January 20th, 2021
TIME COMMITMENT: 15 hours per week minimum. Internship will run until May 14th, 2021.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: December 4th, 2020
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: Interested candidates should apply at https://www.humanrightsfirst.org/careers.
Please include a cover letter, resume, and short writing sample, all in PDF format.
Only selected applicants will be contacted for phone interviews. NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE