The La Jolla Institute for Immunology (LJI) is seeking a detail-orientated individual to lead data submissions from multiple labs within the institute to open repositories that will make these data available to the broader scientific community. The role will primarily focus on annotating and submitting large biological datasets to repositories such as ImmPort, GEO, SRA, and dbGaP. ImmPort is of particular relevance for LJI given its focus on immunological datasets. This role will ensure that LJI continues to regularly submit all relevant data to ImmPort and other pertinent repositories, enabling collaboration in the scientific community in the spirit of open and reproducible science.
The successful candidate will perform a core function, working across multiple projects in the institute, collaborating with a wide variety of PIs and lab stakeholders. The candidate will be someone with an advanced degree in immunology, preferably a PhD, who is familiar with immunological experiments.
Examples of the type of data curated include RNA-Seq datasets on gene expression; cell population frequency data determined by FACS; clinical information about cohorts of individuals enrolled in a vaccine trial; sample type description in terms of tissues and cell types retrieved, and curation of immunological reactivity data from published reports or direct submissions from immunological centers.
Candidates possessing the following qualifications are encouraged to apply:
- An advanced degree in immunology, microbiology, biochemistry, or related field (a PhD is preferred but not essential)
- Good understanding of immunological, transcriptomics, and other ‘omics’ experiments, such as flow cytometry, ELISPOT, RNA-Seq, genotyping, etc.
- Strong attention to detail
- High computer proficiency, especially with respect to Excel spreadsheet applications
- Ability to work in an independent, efficient and highly productive manner
- Willingness to learn new data submission methods and tools
Additional relevant qualifications:
- Familiarity with data privacy regulations including the NIH Genomic Data Sharing (GDS) Policy
- Basic scripting abilities to perform batch file operations (e.g., moving, renaming, etc.)
How to apply:
Interested candidates, please upload your cover letter and resume in a single document. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
In 2018, LJI was ranked as one of the best places to work in San Diego by the San Diego business Journal. LJI is located in the Science Research Park on the campus of UC San Diego, with easy access to the San Diego life sciences community and all that the area has to offer.
LJI provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) to all employees and applicants regardless of race, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, or pregnancy. This applies to all personnel practices including recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits, transfers, educational assistance, and social/recreational programs.
More details on this position are available through Handshake Online Job Board. You must have an account to log in. For account eligibility details, please see the Handshake Resource page.