As Policy and Programs Associate, Sustainability you will assist the President and Vice President of Programs with policy research, advocacy, coalition building, grant implementation, and outreach and event planning/program development. This position provides an excellent opportunity to gain or expand experience in key policy areas and the functioning of local and state government, and to network with other professionals in business and government.
• Manage, track, and report on implementation of clean energy grant initiatives. • Coordinate with LABC/LABCi partners, cooperating organizations, and coalitions on policy advocacy and grant implementation.
• Policy research including preparation of issue briefings, presentations, and position letters
• Track important local, state, and federal legislation and regulations relevant to organizational priorities, including: sustainability, clean energy, and economic development.
• Assisting in outreach, communications, and organization of monthly Energy & Environment and Legislative Affairs committee meetings. 2
• Work with staff on event and program planning including assisting with recruiting speakers and scripting the program for our major annual events
• Assist in research and outreach to stakeholders for current LABC Institute studies
• Attending events, committee and executive meetings with Los Angeles Business Council (LABC) and LABCi staff, leadership and their partners
• Attend external stakeholder workshops, meetings and public hearings on behalf of the LABC/LABCi
Qualifications: Seeking a candidate with interest in the areas of public policy, public administration, urban planning, business administration or related field. Candidate should have an interest in and ability to conduct and assimilate research and track issues relevant to the core focus areas of sustainability, clean energy, and economic development.
This position requires:
• Understanding of local and state government functions and legislative processes
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to multitask and meet tight deadlines
• Strong work ethic and attention to detail
• Excellent follow-up and organizational skills
• Comprehensive understanding of the organizational history and mission
• Ability to develop strong relationships with member businesses
We are particularly interested in a candidate with experience/interest in the areas of renewable energy/sustainability in the LA region and at the State of California. Bilingual candidates (Spanish/English) are encouraged to apply. 2 to 3 years of relevant experience is preferred. About LABC/LABCi: The mission of the Los Angeles Business Council is to act as an advocate for Los Angeles business leaders on key issues that impact their businesses and their communities. Our members are the top executives of major firms in all industries who have strong relationships with elected officials. The LABC provides educational events and a strong conduit to city, state and federal officials through targeted advocacy, select meetings, conferences, receptions and key issue briefings. 3 The LABC hosts 20-25 events/year, including public workshops, networking and educational events and summits with prominent public and private leaders. Our major annual events include the Sustainability Summit, Los Angeles Architectural Awards, and the Mayoral Housing, Transportation and Jobs Summit. The LABC Institute is the forward-thinking research and education arm of the LABC dedicated to strengthening the sustainable economy of California, particularly the Southern California region. Founded in 2010, the LABC Institute provides a bridge between the business, government, environmental, labor and nonprofit communities of Southern California to develop policies and programs that promote investment, jobs and business development. We are the research and education arm of the Los Angeles Business Council, one of the most respected business advocacy organizations in Southern California. Founded in 1936, the LABC is known as an innovator and catalyst for policy development on a wide range of issues, including education, housing, green building, energy efficiency, transportation and solar development.
Contact: Adam Lane, Vice President, Programs. Los Angeles Business Council email@example.com