Los Angeles Urban Teacher Residency (LAUTR) is an intensive credential and master’s degree program founded on principles of social justice. The Cal State University Los Angeles based program provides aspiring urban teachers with rigorous, practical coursework, and training that includes co-teaching with a mentor teacher for an entire school year in high-need schools in Los Angeles. Resident Teachers complete credential requirements in three semesters and Master's in Integrated STEM requirements in three additional semesters. Priority in hiring into LAUSD and Pasadena USD for LAUTR graduates.
Qualifications for next cohort (Cohort 10) that begins in January 2020:
1. Have completed a bachelor's degree by Fall (December) 2019
2. Have NOT served as Teacher of Record or obtained a teaching credential
3. Pass CBEST and required CSET exams by Sept. 20, 2019 score release date (See attached testing and test prep information)
Submit application by Monday, August 19,2019 to be considered for your participation in LAUTR Selection Day on September 6, 2019.
Two Credential Pathways:
1. Education Specialist Credential (K-12) with Option: STEM Specialization
2. Single-Subject Credential in Math or Science for secondary level
$15,000 stipend with additional $10,000 scholarship on needs basis
Assignment of substitute teaching one day a week during residency year to gain additional experience and income
A year-long apprenticeship co-teaching with a mentor teacher
Priority in hiring into LAUSD and Pasadena USD
Social justice and equity orientation
Inquiry-based and culturally relevant pedagogy
Core group of professors committed to the residents' success
Highly supported cohort communities
STEM major NOT necessary
Interested individuals, who will have graduated by Fall 2019, are eligible to be considered for the next cohort. Attend an online information session to begin the application process.