*Please apply directly to PacificLife.com/Careers. Do not apply through Handshake*
Looking to jumpstart your career at a company that offers real opportunities to flourish?
Look no further than Pacific Life. We’re investing in bright, agile new talent with fresh perspectives to help us innovate and build meaningful relationships for years to come. Pacific Life is embarking on a multi-year initiative to invest in dynamic people and technology, ensuring a bright future for our customers and community. To support this process, we are seeking a vibrant and motivated individuals to join our growing team. The Data Engineer Intern role requires someone who is forward thinking and innovative with their solution to solving problems.
As a Data Engineer Intern, you’ll play a key role in our digital transformation by leveraging your business analysis and analytical skills to support the technology, business and management teams across Pacific Life. You’ll join a dedicated, self-organizing, cross-functional agile team in the development of next generation solutions with strong accountability and minimal supervision. If you’re a self-starter with great attention to detail, and able to use individual judgment and initiative while working on a high caliber team, we’d like to talk to you.
Despite the COVID pandemic, Pacific Life has remained safe, stable and productive, thanks to our embracing of digital processes and commitment to a people-first culture. Our agile approach has aided us in successfully shifting our recruiting and onboarding activities toward a safe work-from-home environment.
This is unchartered territory for all of us, so please let us know if you have any questions about the recruiting process or about our response to COVID.
What You’ll Do
- Evaluate business needs, and clarify requirements, data, processes, and systems for complex technology projects.
- Mine large and complex datasets for insights and converting the insights into product features.
- Prepare time estimates for completing features, and assist in overall scope definition, management and tracking. Facilitate the development process.
- Work with Product Owner to refine backlog, prioritize use cases and drive understanding.
- Collaborate with analysts and other engineers to formulate innovative data engineering solutions.
- Build creative solutions to complex business problems that provide functionality, speed, scalability, and reliability required by the business to use data effectively.
- Work closely with other teams to assist with integration design, development & implementation.
- Work collaboratively with a team as well as independently.
- Execute a project from scratch to production on a timely basis.
- Communicate complex concepts and results in a clear and effective manner.
Factors for Success
- Currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Software Engineering, Information Technology, Mathematics, Economics, or another quantitative field.
- Passionate about solving real-world big data challenges with classes taken related to data analytics, data science, data engineering, or data theory.
- Experience working effectively with a team on data science problem(s).
- Experience with insightfully addressing data usage and storage, including data privacy and security.
- Excellent communication and data presentation skills.
- Working knowledge in programming in one or more programming languages, as well as algorithms and data structures.
- Demonstrated skills of machine learning, database systems, modeling, and software scripting tools used in data science.
A people-first mentality is all too rare at a Fortune 300 company like Pacific Life, yet this approach is apparent in everything we do. From our work offering tools that help our members to succeed to our generous benefits and flexibility, allowing our employees to thrive in every facet of their lives, to our renowned oceanic and environmental work, we do work that matters. See how we harness the Power of Pacific to fulfill our shared purpose – apply for one of our positions and grow your career with Pacific Life today!
How We Help You Succeed:
Our Summer Internship Program has become Pacific Life’s talent pipeline for full time early career opportunities. The University Relations team ensures each intern has a well-rounded positive experience to help them reach their career goals. The Summer Program includes:
- Professional Development
- Executive Mentorship Program
- Collaborative Environment
- Real World Work
- Social Events
- Training and Education
- Networking and Exposure to Leadership
Pacific Life Insurance Company is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/D/V. If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Human Resources Representative at Pacific Life Insurance Company.
More details on this position are available through Handshake Online Job Board. You must have an account to log in. For account eligibility details, please see the Handshake Resource page.