Millions of people around the world turn to SAGE’s journals, books and electronic products to inform their studies with the latest research findings. With offices spanning six continents, SAGE aims to be the world’s leading independent academic and professional publisher by disseminating the finest scholarship on a global scale. Join the team of talented and motivated professionals who are champions of engaged scholarship and creators of innovative and award-winning products.
SAGE has a current opening for a College Product and Market Development Intern in our Thousand Oaks, CA Office.
The SAGE College Product and Market Development Internship offers current college and graduate students the opportunity to learn more about the academic publishing industry while developing the skills needed to succeed in editorial and marketing positions.
The intern will learn about academic publishing in general and gain hands-on experience in the College Product and Market Development department. They will engage in work pertaining to textbooks and digital educational products that is project-based, varied, fast-paced, multi-faceted, intellectually challenging, and above all, collaborative. Interns assist, maintain, and help drive a range of editorial and marketing activities.
This internship is best suited to self-starters who are curious, organized, take initiative, ask questions, share feedback, participate in meetings, and are passionate about higher education and the power and impact of social science research.
This internship is part-time (16-25 hours per week during normal office hours), paid position for one academic semester with the possibility of extending into future semesters and/or the summer based on the intern’s performance and continued interest. Interns will work remotely for the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The job functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist department personnel in conducting peer review projects, including recruiting reviewers, compiling review information, and paying reviewers
- Support digital resource and assessment development
- Conduct market surveys and market research using Survey Monkey and other survey tools
- Research and download photos to be used in our books
- Assist with identifying and securing permissions needed for third-party content
- Provide user feedback on new products and platforms
- Assist with social media outreach
- Process payment requests
- Maintain records and manage data
- Participate in regular and ad hoc meetings
- Assist in other general tasks, such as preparing manuscripts for the production process and keeping information updated in our publishing systems
Any combination equivalent to, but not limited to, the following:
- Currently working toward the completion of a degree at an accredited university, preferably in English, Communication, Journalism, Marketing, Publishing, or related field.
- Must be highly proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Must be a quick learner
- Able to read, analyze, and interpret concepts, documents, requirements, etc.
- Able to maintain high level of confidentiality and professionalism and work with tact and diplomacy while maintaining a sense of humor
- Able to multitask while maintaining attention to detail and work with constant interruptions
- Able to work in an ever changing, fast-paced environment requiring flexibility
- Able to meet deadlines and work professionally under pressure
- Have exemplary internal/external customer communication skills
- Have strong mathematical skills
- Possess effective decision-making skills
Language, Reasoning, Analytical & Mathematical Skills:
Candidates should be able to tolerate any combination equivalent to, but not limited to, the following:
- Hearing, listening, speaking, laughing
- Operation of specific equipment including computer, etc.
- Sustained concentration using a computer screen
- Ignore ambient noise, carry on conversations with internal/external customers in a high activity, noisy environment
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. The requirements listed within this position description are representative of the education, skills, experience and qualifications required. Incumbents in this position must maintain absolute confidentiality with company information at all times. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable a qualified individual with a disability to more readily perform the essential functions.
- Management reserves the right to change, rescind, add or delete the essential functions of this position at any time, with or without notice.
Qualified applicants should present their resume and cover letter for consideration to our website at http://www.sagepublications.com/careers for more information.
More details on this position are available through Handshake Online Job Board. You must have an account to log in. For account eligibility details, please see the Handshake Resource page.