The UCLA Center for Community Learning is the home of Jumpstart, an AmeriCorps program for UCLA undergraduates that promotes literacy among preschool students. This is a one-year program supporting local preschools. As an AmeriCorps participant, Corps Members will complete 300 hours of service during the school year to earn a $1,311.11 education award upon completion of program. In addition to becoming an AmeriCorps member and earning an education award, Corps Members are hired as a UCLA work-study student employee. You may request an increase to your work study award to match up with the 300 hours of service for AmeriCorps.
Jumpstart Corps Members will participate in the following activities:
• 4 hours per week: Virtually implement core components of Jumpstart curriculum with team o Two sessions per week for two hours each
• 2-4 hours per week: Team planning meetings for virtual session preparation and community building
• 4-6 hours per week: Minimum time spent for individual planning and preparation, including virtual session materials and at-home family activities
• Communicate with children’s families and teachers
• Participate in intensive pre-service and on-going trainings
• Attend periodic service days, often held on weekends
Position is approx. 12-14 hours per week, all of which are flexible except for scheduled session time.
**Must have work study.
Experience working with young children, and/or a desire to learn more about early childhood education. Strong language and communication skills. Ability to build relationships and collaborate with children’s families. A willingness to learn about session implementation and planning. Community service experience and an ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds. Ability to work well on a team. Adaptability in navigating remote service during COVID-19 pandemic. Comfort in using and hosting virtual meetings through online platforms (Zoom, Microsoft Teams, etc.). Maturity and good judgment in relating to Jumpstart peers, partners, and families.
To work in this position, the AmeriCorps program requires being a:
• U.S. citizen
• U.S. national, or
• Legal permanent resident alien of the United States
How to Apply:
Apply directly at jstart.org/apply, or contact site staff at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information!
** You will work with children and a background check is required for this position.
Continued employment contingent upon completion of satisfactory background investigation.**
More details on this position are available through Handshake Online Job Board. You must have an account to log in. For account eligibility details, please see the Handshake Resource page.